Dead Sea Scrolls Show Accuracy of our Scriptures
The Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) are the oldest known manuscripts of the Old Testament. They were produced by a Jewish group that lived at Qumran on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea from the mid-2nd century B.C. until the Jewish revolt in AD 68. With the Roman army attacking towns in Judea to quell the revolt, the Qumran group decided to flee their settlement. They stored their library of scrolls in nearby caves. They probably hoped to return to them later, but never did. The scrolls remained in the caves until discovered by a Bedouin in 1946. Over the next decade, ten more caves containing scrolls from Qumran were located.
This fragment of the Dead Sea Scroll pictured here was found in Cave 4 in 1952 by a Bedouin family who sold it to an antiquities dealer. It remained in his family in Switzerland until 2002. In 2005, the passage on the fragment was identified as Amos 3:4-5 by Hanan and Ester Eshel, noted Israeli DSS scholars. It was sent to the University of Southern California in 2008 for a digital photography session.
This is one of only a few dozen DSS fragments in private ownership in the world. All the other 19,000 DSS fragments are in museums, primarily the Rockefeller Museum in Jerusalem and the Shrine of the Book at the Jerusalem Museum. This fragment was on display at the National Religious Broadcasters convention in February, and GNNradio took this photograph. The fragment appeared to be approximately 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long.